In the four-course introductory UTeach Blended Learning Series you will create blended learning activities to implement in your own classroom, receive individualized feedback on your work products, and participate in collaborative discussions. Live webinars are conducted at key points throughout the series to facilitate successful implementation of blended learning strategies and a success coach helps ensure course completion.
After completion of this series, you qualify to take the UTeach Advanced Blended Learning Series.
In the 2018-19 school year, 840 educators from 60 Texas school districts and charter schools enrolled in the Blended Learning Series. Register here for the Blended Learning Series. The cost for the full series is $1,000.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BL 101 Blended Learning: Where Do I Start? (4 hours)
This course explores relevant research literature to help you construct a new understanding of blended learning. You will become familiar with tools and strategies indicative of a blended learning environment and develop systems for creating your own blended learning classroom. The learning activities embedded throughout the course will help you answer the driving question: What does blended learning look like in my classroom?
- Carry out research to determine current educational practices that incorporate blended learning in the classroom.
- Review active learning and assessment strategies indicative of a blended learning environment.
- Become familiar with different technologies and tools that are available to support blended learning.
- Create an action plan of next steps for establishing a blended learning environment.
BL 102 Differentiation in the Blended Classroom (6 hours)
This course introduces you to the key concepts of differentiating content, process, and product based on student readiness, interest, and learning profile in a blended learning environment. You will develop strategies to differentiate and manage instruction to meet the needs of individual students in a blended learning setting. This course also supports the incorporation of technology tools for enhanced differentiation and helps you formulate an answer to the driving question: Which differentiated instructional strategies should be consistently used in my blended classroom to enhance student learning?
- Learn strategies for differentiating content, learning process, and learning products in a blended learning environment.
- Construct tools for determining student readiness, interest levels, and learning profiles.
- Discuss how to manage a differentiated classroom, focusing in particular on the importance of using technology-enhanced assessment to guide individual instruction in a blended learning classroom.
- Reflect on the differentiated instructional strategies that can be implemented in a blended classroom.
BL 102 sample work products: 5E Differentiated Blended Lesson Plans
BL 103 Tools and Strategies for Managing a Blended Learning Environment (8 hours)
In this course, you will discover innovative tools and resources for managing the variety of activities taking place in a blended learning environment. You will design a classroom management plan, create technology-enhanced learning activities, and develop strategies for fostering digital citizenship in your own blended classroom. You will research, implement, and collaborate while developing personalized responses to the driving question: What tools and strategies will be most effective for managing my blended classroom?
- Research attributes of a blended learning classroom and discover innovative classroom management tools.
- Design a classroom management plan appropriate to your unique teaching setting.
- Create a technology-based lesson plan to implement in your blended classroom.
- Review a variety of resources to foster digital citizenship.
- Participate in discussions with other teachers to share thoughts and strategies for enhancing blended classrooms.
BL 103 sample work products: 21st Century Classroom Management Plans and Lesson Plans
BL 104 Capstone Transforming Classrooms for the Digital Age (12 hours)
This course builds upon the blended learning principles from the previous courses in the Blended Learning series. In this capstone course, you will be encouraged to create a cumulative plan for incorporating and managing technology, implementing technology-enhanced assessments, and fostering enhanced collaboration in a blended classroom.
The activities in this capstone course will assist in the creation of individual responses to the driving question: How do I best combine technology-enhanced tools, differentiation strategies, and management tools to transform my classroom into a blended learning environment?
- Compare and contrast blended and non-blended learning activities.
- Discover technologies available for use in a blended learning environment.
- Take a traditional lesson and transform it into a blended learning activity.
- Create blended learning resources to use for student collaboration and assessment.
- Discuss unique management issues present in a blended classroom.
BL 104 sample work products: Blended Learning Reflection Papers